Coronavirus (COVID-19) update:
New Kent County believes in preserving the Chesapeake Bay, and one of the ways we engage the community is by ensuring that in-ground septic systems are operationally sound. Typically, Septic Pump-Out Notices are sent to affected property owners notifying them of this requirement in the spring of each year.
Due to the current economic climate facing many households, the Environmental Department has opted to delay the mailings at this time. If you have had your septic system serviced or have it serviced in the future, please send us a copy of the invoice. By providing this information, you help us keep our database up-to-date. Offices remain closed to the public, and we greatly appreciate your continued cooperation during this time.
Invoices may be delivered in the following ways:
• Fax a copy to the Environmental Department at 804-966-8531, OR;
• Email a copy to email@example.com, OR;
• Mail a copy to Environmental Department
12007 Courthouse Circle
P. O. Box 150
New Kent, VA 23124
**IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING ENVIRONMENTAL PERMITS**
Environmental Department Permit Hours
Completed applications (all information filled out, as well as required original signatures) will be accepted Monday through Friday from 8 am until 3:45 pm.
Incomplete applications (missing any information or required original signatures) will not be accepted.
ALL applications and forms submitted to the Environmental Department must be the current up-to-date version.
Payment will not be required upon permit application submittal. Payment will now be due upon receipt of the permit.
Please contact the Environmental Department to schedule Environmental Inspections, (804) 966-8580.
The Environmental Department is responsible for promoting harmonious relationships among the natural environment, the built environment, and those who inhabit them. Specifically, the department is responsible for:
Chesapeake Bay Preservation
- Administering the Septic Tank Pump Out Program
- Conducting public hearings for the CBPA board as needed
- Issuing RPA modification and CBPA exception permits
- Local implementation of the state’s Chesapeake Bay Preservation Act, as required by the Code of Virginia (Title 62.1, Chapter 3.1, Article 2.5)
- Reviewing plans for environmentally sensitive features
Enforcement of rules and regulations adopted and mandated to the locality by:
- DCR - Division of Chesapeake Bay Local Assistance
- Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ)
- Virginia Marine Resources Commission (VMRC)
- US Army Corps of Engineers
Erosion and Sediment Control / Stormwater Management
- Conducting erosion and sediment control inspections for commercial and residential sites on a bi-weekly basis
- Issuing commercial and residential land disturbance permits, per the New Kent Code, Chapter 82, Article II
- Local implementation of the State’s Erosion and Sediment Control Program and Stormwater Management Program, as required by law, Regulations and Certification Requirements (Title 62.1, Chapter 3.1, Article 2.3 - 2.4)
- Reviewing plans for erosion and sediment controls and Stormwater Management