Sheriff's Office Career Opportunities
Please read carefully.
The New Kent Sheriff's Office accepts applications on a continual basis. If you would like to submit an application for any position please click the link at the bottom of the page. The Sheriff's Office only accepts New Kent Sheriff's Office applications from this site or printed copies that can be obtained from our office. Those having submitted a New Kent Sheriff's Office application within the last year may be contacted once a vacancy is announced. If you submit an application and have not been contacted within one calendar year afterwards you will need to submit a new application.
If you would like to submit an application for any position at the Sheriff's Office please follow the links at the bottom of this page. You may also click the email link to submit other documents in addition to your application such as: cover letters, resumes, certificates, diplomas, or other documents that you feel may enhance your application.
The New Kent County Sheriff's Office is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Information for perspective employees
Patrol Deputy, Civil Deputy, Animal Control Officer
- Must be 21 years of age
- Must possess a valid Virginia Operators License
- Must be a High School Graduate or Equivalent
- Cannot have any Felony Convictions
- Cannot have any serious Misdemeanor Convictions (Nothing Domestic Related)
- Must pass a physical examination
- Must be willing to submit to Drug and Alcohol Testing
- Must be willing to submit to MMPI test or equivalent, If requested
- Must be a certified Law Enforcement Officer, or as an Animal Control Officer (if applying for Animal Control Officer) or willing to attend and must successfully complete the required training at the Law Enforcement Training Academy within the first twelve months of employment
- Must be a US Citizen
- Cannot be under any type of Protective Order or Court Restrictions
- Must submit to a Background Investigation which includes, but may not be limited to:
- Submission of Fingerprints for Criminal Records check by the Virginia Central Criminal Records Exchange and the FBI.
- Neighborhood Checks
- Reference Checks
- Financial Background Check
- Previous Employer Interview
- And others as Required
- The completion of a period of on the job training upon hiring or upon the completion of the Basic Academy
- In-Service (Refresher) training every two years as approved by DCJS
- If hired you will be on probation, for a minimum of twelve months of employment
- Must be willing to work at the will and pleasure of the Sheriff
- Must successfully complete a written examination
The following job descriptions require the carrying of a firearm and successful completion of a training/ proficiency course in this area and or any other weapon to be carried on or off duty prior to the carrying of that weapon.
Patrol Deputy Sheriff
This position is a law enforcement position which requires certification as a Basic Law Enforcement Officer through the Department of Criminal Justice Services in Virginia. The position requires the completion of shift work to include, at this time, working twelve hour shifts. Deputies are required to work nights, weekends, holidays and are subject to emergency call-outs and court appearances at times on your days or time off.
Patrol Deputy Sheriffs are charged with the enforcement of Local, State and Federal Laws and ordinances.
Civil Deputy Sheriff
This position is also a law enforcement Position which requires certification as Basic Courts/ Civil Process/ Local Jailer through the Department of Criminal Justice Services in Virginia.
Civil Deputy Sheriffs are responsible for the security of the judges, attorneys, and the public while in the courthouse. They also maintain security of prisoners transported to the courthouse from jails all over Virginia for court appearances, and are also responsible for serving warrants, civil, and process papers. Civil Deputy Sheriff's generally work Monday through Friday during day shift and are on-call periodically for transports and civil commitments.
Animal Control Officers/ Deputy Sheriff
This position is a Law Enforcement Position which requires certification as a Basic Animal Control Officer and/or certification as a Basic Law Enforcement Officer through the Department of Criminal Justice Services in Virginia.
Animal Control Officers are responsible for enforcing State and County ordinances pertaining to and for the protection of domestic dogs and cats as stated in the Code of Virginia. Animal Control Officers that have certifications as Basic Law Enforcement Officer may be required to enforce other laws as well from time to time. Animal Control Officers generally work day shift five days a week covering Monday through Saturday and are on-call as needed.
If you would like to forward supporting documents (Resume, Certifications, etc) with your applications please attach them to the email. Also please use this email if the information you provide in the application or supporting document(s) changes.
Again, thank you for your interest, and for visiting the New Kent County Sheriff's Office web page.
You may also apply using the link above for our non-sworn positions as well. For more detailed information concerning our non-sworn positions (Communications Officer, Clerical, or Auxiliary) please contact Lieutenant F.W. Howard, III at (804) 966-9500.